Every Artist Needs to Use Bandcamp
Now that we’re all familiar with what Bandcamp is and why we should all have a fan account, I’d like to welcome you back to The Bandcamper for the second instalment; artist accounts. As an artist, there’s no better place to make your music available than Bandcamp (of course, also put it on iTunes, Spotify, and the like if maximum availability is important to you). It’s a lot easier to set up your music on Bandcamp (and a lot more free!) than any other site, which is why a lot of bands begin their online music career there. In about 15 minutes you can create an account, customize your page, upload your music and begin selling.
For an artist, one of the most important things is creativity. With Bandcamp, you get just that. You can customize the design and layout of your page to make it match your website, or keep it totally simple and focus on the music. If you’ve got a knack for design Bandcamp becomes a whole new platform for art. They’ve even got a how-to guide, complete with examples to inspire you.
Let’s get to the point: music. That’s what Bandcamp is all about. And every feature they offer is directly related to you being in total control of your music.
- You set the price of every track, EP and album, and get about 80% of the profits
- Pay-what-you-want option for fans (HUGE, more on this to come)
- Collect email addresses for your mailing list (optional)
- Multiple currencies, making it super easy to sell music internationally
- Statistics! Much like Facebook Pages’ insights, this can be invaluable to finding out more about your audience and targeting them directly
- Physical sales are right alongside your digital offerings and you can even bundle them together
- Optimized for search engines, so more of your fans will find you, faster
The feature list is almost never-ending and we haven’t nearly touched on everything, but these alone should have you jumping out of your seat ready to sign up for an artist account. Create a page, explore the site and come back to The Bandcamper for part three where I’ll show you how to get the most out of your free account!
Watch for the third article in The Bandcamper, about optimizing your Bandcamp page.